The House of Mary – Kalwaria Zebrzydowska

After the departure from Krakow (Cracow), the Life Mobile carrying Our Lady in the Icon of Czestochowa, had stopped in the area of the largest, oldest, and most renowned - Kalwaria Zebrzydowska, a town in southern Poland.  At the beginning of the 17th century, Jan Zebrzydowski erected a replica of the Way of the Cross (Via Crucis) in Jerusalem, and had also funded many beautiful chapels.  Large crowds of pilgrims travel the Calvary "paths" on a regular basis.  Also, the reenactment of the Passion of Christ takes place here, especially during Lent.  The Bernardine Fathers are custodians of this famous shrine. 

Due to time restrictions, the Czestochowa Icon visited only the small church called "Tomb of the Blessed Virgin Mary" – nicknamed, "The House of Mary."  This church was consecrated in 1630 AD.  Behind the altar, a chamber with the statue of Our Lady of Dormition is located.   The devotion to the Sorrowful Mother (called the Way of Co-Suffering) takes place here, starting at the Tomb of Our Lord and leading up to the House of Mary and a procession takes place on the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary as a Memorial of Her Dormition, Burial and Glorious Assumption.

The Icon was greeted at the bottom of the hill and solemnly processed into the church and placed on the main altar.  After the recitation of the Holy Rosary, the Icon set out on the journey of peregrination to the next place of visitation.


More photos

>> Donate now <<